I recently received my quarterly news letter from DSA in the mail; I am still working on it. I did get my bi-weekly e-letter regarding their upcoming national meeting. Of course, DSA is a 3rd party. This means they will never elect a member to the White House. However, as we have seen with other 3rd party candidates, there is hope in the House, Senate, and as Governor. DSA has a great mission in that they see eradicate poverty, sexism, racism, and classism. I like all of those isms.
Here is what I received the other day; I have been meaning to share this with all of my hard-core Republican friends. All 3 of them.
We Want YOU to Attend the National Convention – Register Now!
Join us at the 15th biennial convention of Democratic Socialists of America, November 11-13 in the Washington D.C. suburb of Vienna, Va. Register now.
We are the alternative to the tea party conservatives, the Republicans whose only program is to say no, the Democrats who have forgotten what progressive politics really are and the progressives who think that they can stand apart from the left.
It’s time to use plain language. Despite the GOP’s talking points to the contrary, Warren Buffett was right when he said “there’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”
Now is the time to focus on some critical questions:
1) How do we respond to the Right’s relentless and extreme assaults on working people and their institutions?
2) How do we build a response that rebuilds our economy, provides equitable access to education for young people, and provides jobs and security for workers, the retired and the near-retired in the aftermath of the Great Recession?
3) How do we set a political agenda that strengthens progressive forces and inspires rather than disillusions activists and voters?
Over the last two years, we have continued renewing and revitalizing our organization to meet the challenge of making the socialist tradition relevant to 21st century America. Membership has grown, new DSA locals and YDS chapters have organized and I have become the new National Director.
We must keep building DSA. Never has the United States been in greater need of the contributions of democratic socialists to rebuild the American Dream.
In the words of Michael Moore, “America is not broke!”
Attend the convention to:
· Get to know fellow DSA and YDSers from around the country, share activism best-practices, and build democratic socialist community
· Discuss and debate our political strategy and elect our national leadership for the next two years
· Develop organizing skills like recruiting new members and getting our message into the media
· Participate in workshops and other convention sessions about: defending public services, a socialist-feminist response to the recession, dealing with the jobs crisis, progressive taxation, cutting the bloated military budget and much more!
· Convention delegates are elected by DSA local organizations. Members not in locals may run as at-large delegates to the convention. YDS (youth section) members attend as delegates with their local or as at-large delegates. There is also an option to attend as an Observer.
· Or call the national office to register and get more information: (212) 727-8610.
· The advanced convention fee of $195 covers all materials as well as coffee breaks and a Saturday banquet dinner. The week-of convention fee is $220, but we need to plan ahead so please register as soon as possible. Limited financial aid will be available for members in need. Child care can be provided. Roommates can be arranged to decrease hotel costs.
· As soon as you register, delegates will be added to a special email listserve for pre-convention discussion and a list to receive further convention information.
· The convention will be held at the Sheraton Premiere at Tysons Corner, 8661 Leesburg Pike, Vienna, VA 22182, in a suburb of Washington, DC.
· Hotel Reservations: To reserve a room and receive the special convention rate of $109 (for a single or a double room) per night plus tax, call (703) 448-1234 and reference the DSA convention, or register online here. The rooms and the special discount will be held only until the beginning of October, so make your reservations now. Your credit card will not be charged until you arrive at the hotel.
Our convention is the opportunity to improve your organizing skills, share ideas with other DSA activists, and decide the direction of our organization for the next two years.
A corporate dominated political system will move in a progressive direction only if powerful democratic social movements force it to do so. Your participation is important.
If not now, when? Register today.
PS: From time to time, I will let you know about events organized by other organizations or articles written by DSA notables which provide helpful analyses for DSA activists to consider. One such event is this Thursday, September 22nd at 1pm EST/10am PST: “Race and the Federal Budget Debate,” a free webinar presented by the Applied Research Center. Click here to learn more and register.